What is walnut poisoning? Can I feed my dog nuts?

walnut poisoningWalnut poisoning is caused when dogs eat moist, old, moldy walnuts, not fresh ones from the ground or the market. Signs of poisoning are uncontrollable shaking from the mold on the meat of the nut. It can resemble the quivering of metaldehyde poisoning from eating snail bait powder or pellets. The treatment is to induce vomiting, administer muscle relaxants, charcoal, and tranquilizers. If your dog is quivering but standing and alert, a couple tablespoons of 2% hydrogen peroxide may cause vomiting of the moldy nuts or snail bait. The sooner you get rid of the toxin, the less absorbed. You don’t want to do this to depressed, sick, recumbent dogs. They could inhale the vomit and die or develop pneumonia.

Fresh walnuts are high in omega oils and protein and good for most dogs. A few dogs may not tolerate nuts very well and can vomit, have diarrhea, or get hives. You can see if your dog tolerates them  by feeing a small piece of a peanut, almond, or walnut. Do not feed macadamia nuts, as these  can cause partial paralysis or weakness in the hindquarters of dogs. mixed nuts

My dog Maisy loves nuts, and she has a touchy stomach! Every time I bring a handful of walnuts or almonds to the couch and sit, I feel eyes boring into me. That is her Vulcan mind meld begging technique. It always works, besides walnuts and almonds are a great source of omega fatty acids, usually deficient in most dry dog foods. If you dog has itchy skin or ears…try a nut!!

Find out other good healthy food you can feed your dog in my book, Dog Dish Diet!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>